Pumpkin spice latte



Everyone likes to talk about pumpkin spice lattes at this time of year, so when I found a recipe, I knew I had to try making it. A good base recipe to use as a starting point is this one.

To make it stronger, I swapped in more of some of the individual components of pumpkin spice for the 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice called for in that recipe. I also upped the coffee component and reduced the amount of milk used slightly to make it less creamy while keeping the total amount of liquid in the recipe the same, and specified brown sugar or maple syrup instead of just sugar. I think the brown sugar or maple syrup brings out the spice flavors and adds another layer to the flavor profile.


Pumpkin spice latte, serves one

1/2 cup strong coffee
2 tbs pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tsp vanilla extract, or to taste
1 tbs brown sugar or maple syrup (optional, to taste, more if you prefer sweeter)
3/4 cup milk

Brew coffee strong. In a sauce pan, mix pumpkin puree, spices, sugar or maple syrup, coffee, and milk well. Heat until hot, stirring often. Remove from stove, and add vanilla extract. Serve topped with whipped cream and dusted with cinnamon.

If using coffee, I recommend using whole milk for its richness. If using espresso, I might try using a more watery milk so that I could mix one shot of espresso with a cup of milk without the milk flavor and richness overpowering. I'd like to try almond milk.

The one cup liquid to 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree works well. How much coffee versus milk you want may depend on preference. For a spicier latte, up the ginger to 1/4 tsp. For a sweeter latte, add more maple syrup or brown sugar. Next time, I'd like to add allspice or try doubling the pumpkin spice to 1/2 tsp instead of using the individual spices.

What do you think? Do you have a special way to make this latte?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment